Thursday, July 23, 2009

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING FOR THE PAST 40 YEARS?


JAY ANDERSON
After graduating from Pike, I spent an enjoyable but semi-lost year playing euchre with Emil Goeke and Greg Shugart at Purdue. I moved back to Maryland in the summer of '70 and graduated from the University of MD with a degree in economics. All of that outstanding knowledge about economics resulted in a career as a data processing systems analyst, which I performed for about 20 years. I switched over to Manufacturing Management and worked for a defense-oriented business that produced high-tech and high-security countertops. After working in a union shop for about 10 years and just absolutely loving grievance meetings, I made a semi-retirement career change to the world of sports museums. I currently serve as Facilities Manager for two museums in Baltimore -- The Babe Ruth Birthplace and also Sports Legends at Camden Yards. I'm responsible for making sure that the lights come on, the place is clean, and that the Orioles, Terps, Ravens, and the real Colts gallery are spotless.

I was married for 10 years, and my "second go-around" is currently 20+ years. I have two step-daughters and three step-grand kids. I played lots of sports until my early 40s, and had some success with my devastating low-70's "heater," until I discovered what a rotator cuff tear was. Since then, I've mostly just coached Little League baseball and football, and also adult synchronized swimming. We live midway between Baltimore, Annapolis, and DC.

I have nothing but great memories of my time as a Hoosier/Red Devil/Boilermaker. I rooted hard for the home teams while I was there, thought the school (Pike) was outstanding, made some fine friends, and I'll always remember the gorgeous women.

I hope everybody is doing well.


Editor's Note: Jay was senior class vice president and an outstanding pitcher on the 1968 varsity baseball team that advanced all the way to the state semi-finals -- a record for Pike teams at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment